Winter is here. And while we don’t have to shovel our driveways and aren’t able to freeze coffee midair, it still gets pretty cold here in Alabama, especially overnight. So if the heat goes out suddenly and unexpectedly, it can be not only frustrating, but super uncomfortable. For the young or the elderly, it can even be dangerous. What do you do if this happens to your family this winter?
Contact Xcalibur Home Services
The very first thing you want to do is make sure that no one set it to AC by mistake. If that’s not it and your heat really is completely off, go ahead and contact us! Our call center is open 24/7, so you’ll hear a real person on the other end of the line no matter the time of day. We all know that heating goes out at the worst times, just like how a smoke detector battery only runs out in the middle of the night somehow…so your Xcalibur HVAC contractors in Birmingham, AL are here for you around the clock, every day of the year. Make sure to make the call the moment you know there’s a problem, since we tend to get busier as the weather gets colder. We want to fix your heating situation as quickly as possible! What can you do in the meantime, besides put more clothes on? Let’s review a few common options.
Warm up as much as possible
If it happens during the day, open all of your curtains or blinds so that you get a little help from the sun. Other solutions include:
- Safely use any available space heaters
- Make a fire in your fireplace (if applicable) or turn on your gas logs
- Find a recipe that requires baking so that the oven heats up the space around it. Do not turn on the oven and intentionally leave the door open for a long period of time.
- Take a hot shower or bath
- Block drafts around doors and windows using weather stripping, draft snakes, or even blankets.
- If safe to do so, ask a neighbor or family member if you can stay with them until we arrive
Carbon Monoxide Caution
It’s important to understand the dangers of carbon monoxide. It should go without saying, but remember that no matter how cold you are, don’t bring your grill or camping stove inside as your source of heat. That type of equipment requires ventilation. Similarly, gas ovens can release carbon monoxide into your home if the oven door is left open for extended periods of time. Plus, all of these are fire hazards as well. When looking for alternative ways to heat your home, please be smart and safe. We will be there soon to help!
There are ways to prepare for outages, even if it’s not something that’s common at your house. First of all, maintenance check ups can be the most helpful way to prevent major heating issues. Our Xcalibur technicians can find and diagnose potential problem areas so they can be addressed and corrected before your furnace stops working. The following checklist contains things to help you through a heating outage, considering that it wasn’t caused by an electrical outage.
- Flashlights, lanterns, and candles. Make sure you have working batteries and matches.
- Space heater- this can be powered by a generator if you have one and is absolutely necessary.
- Chemical hand warmers. These can provide instant warmth but make sure you monitor their use. Don’t allow kids to take them to bed with them or leave elderly alone with the warmers on their body.
- Electric blankets and or a heating pad. These will keep you more toasty than just average blankets.
So now if your heat goes out, you’ll be armed with the knowledge, tools, and contact info you need to stay warm and get help. We know that most of this information, if not all of it, is pretty basic and widely-known. However, we also know that if it’s below freezing and the heat goes out, the ensuing stress and panic can cause some to stumble through what to do, which is totally understandable. Let this blog serve as a reminder of what to do. If your heat goes out this winter, contact your Xcalibur Home Services HVAC contractors in Birmingham, AL. We provide 24/7 heating repair and will get your home warm and safe as quickly as we can.